Thursday, May 26, 2011

Small Town Girl

I had a love/hate relationship with my town. I loved it. I loved the coffeeshops and the summers but I never wanted to stay here forever. I hated some of the memories I had around the town. New places were for new memories and I wanted as many new memories as possible. I left town fairly young. I went on exchange in high school and even though I did not want to come home, I did. Now though, I love my life here.

I love that I work in a homey breakfast place/ coffeeshop literally four blocks from my house. I love that I'm also four blocks from the synagogue. I like that I can run into my dad on campus. I don't see him often because our schedules are so different but I've started placing notes on the windshield of his car like parking tickets.

I run into professors that have known me since I was a year old when I am on my way to classes. My forestry professors say hi to me on the street and just earlier today, the Rabbi said " Hey Suzanne! How's it going?" as he biked past me.

Small towns are wonderful. Sometimes it's a bit like Stepford but overall I'm healthy, happy and glad that I know everyone around me. My hometown feels more like home now that I live on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment