Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On the side

I'm a waitress. I'm a decently good waitress. I also flirt a little to compensate for when, occasionally, things go wrong. And on some days, things do go wrong. In my rush to get your omelette to the table, I might drop your toast. Or forget your butter or maybe, I won't have time to get to your third coffee refill. A smile and a compliment generally helps. So, I'm a cute, waitress in a small town breakfast shop. And, sometimes I get asked out. It's natural.

Over the summer, an incredibly cute young man waltzed in and sat down with his parents. They got breakfast and along with my tip... I got a phone number.Shortly after a messy long distance relationship thing, I decided, "What the hell? I'll call him."

I called the number and we went out a couple times. We added each other on facebook. You know how things go these days. Everything is online. He was cute, cocky, and a cityboy. Now, I'm no naive girl and I wasn't expected anything serious. Not from a guy that drives a motorcycle and plans to have a cougar as a pet. Not from a guy that simultaneously likes skydiving and is currently writing his own fantasy novel.

So, he went on a trip to New York and I went on a trip to Seattle. When I arrived home, I started the fall term of classes. He never called. I never called. On facebook, it says that he has a girlfriend. "Good for him." I think.

A few days ago, he walks back into the breakfast shop with his parents. We say hi. I tell him I like his haircut and apologize for being busy. He says he's been busy too. No big deal.

A few hours later, he sends me a text message. "hey." it says. Just, "hey."

I think to myself, "hey, what? Hey, you want to see me? Hey, let's be friends? Hey, sorry I haven't called you? No, just... hey."

I might be a small town waitress but I'm also an explorer and a hell of a smart cookie and I'm worth more than a "hey." I'm not an order on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment