Sunday, October 17, 2010

The sexy factor

Starting in July, the Dollartrees and Walmarts of the U.S. started pushing their Halloween products. Personally, I think it's a little early for that but maybe it's part of the american culture. Maybe we always want the next, new distraction or excuse to drink. For little kids, it promotes unhealthy eating habits and supports the food industry. For female college students, Halloween is an excuse to don the skankiest outfit possible. The options range from "sexy schoolgirl" to "sexy robin hood, the girl version." Every costume has "Sexy" in front of it.
Sexy hasn't always been my thing. The "sexy" factor, aka short skirts and low cut shirts has always seemed to be a bit low-class. Don't women value themselves enough not to commercialize the body parts that make us to be women? Don't we value our femininity? Now, I'm not saying that I'm against nudity. Nudity is fine. If I could, I would be naked all the time. I love my body and if my blinds worked, I would be naked in my bedroom. They don't. Anyway, it's not the nudity or the exposition of body parts that bothers me. It's what it means to men.

For male college students, Halloween is an opportunity to see every college girl freeze their asses off trying to impress them. It's a meat market and the meat comes cheap.

Whatever happened to "confidence is sexy"? Apparently, the new sexy is needy and desperate.

Be that as it may, I might be a sexy skeleton... But the costume has GLOW IN THE DARK BONES! and really, who could pass that up?

No comments:

Post a Comment